Allow me to preface this by saying that while it's no secret that I'm a Scandinavian minimalist at heart—by blood and by choice—my own home looks NOTHING like this at Christmas time.
My tree is fat and dripping with toys and tiny pre-school handprint ornaments. My mantel is laden with lights and pom-poms and whimsical (some may say gaudy but I prefer whimsy) woodland creatures. Our stockings have penguins and reindeer and felted balls everywhere! It's a riot of colour and crafts.
But inside my brain? Inside my brain, the holidays look exactly like the above. Maybe one day I'll stage the Scandinavian Christmas of my dreams, with spindly unadorned trees in baskets and nothing but wooden bead garlands strung about with calculated (yet somehow also casual?) precision.
Until that day arrives (never) I'll just enjoy the images above, breathe a deep sigh of calm-yet-joyful happiness, and share these pretty ideas with you.
- This stick tree from ReTreeJoy won't shed needles all over your house and it gives you the perfect perch for when you feel like putting a bird on it. Obviously it's completely sold out due to its utter perfection.
- The Nordic sensibility and graphic symmetry of traditional Finnish Himmeli decorations are what I see floating behind my eyelids while drifting off to sleep at night. This brass interpretation would make an excellent gift for me (in case you were wondering).
- I can't imagine anything more perfect to drape, just so, over that little floating Rhino head. This is Scandi mantel perfection and I'd leave it like this all year long. If you need me, I'll be out collecting pastel coloured wooden beads.
- Many have made attempts at a perfect decorative Advent calendar and failed, myself included. You probably shouldn't ruin this one by putting any treats in it but if you feel like just receiving a tiny numbered white bag each day in December, this one is for you.
- Unless your home is entirely white with nothing in it at all except for a beautiful brass bunny, do not even attempt this tree. People will think you gave up on Christmas half way through decorating.
- Wrap everything in craft paper. This woman glued her fingers together to achieve this look so do not consider this the easy way out.
We'd love to help you achieve the holiday look of your dreams—whatever that may be. Call us!